Sunday 30 August 2020

From surviving to thriving: hints and tricks of the trade

Written by Charlotte Bailey

Why did you decide to teach? This is often a question that we are asked at INSET or by our family members or friends that listen to all the negatives of our teaching week and wonder ‘Why do they stay’? But I guarantee you, teaching is one of the most rewarding professions, (it’s true, I’m not biased), if you throw yourself into it and share how you’re feeling - everyone has gone through something similar. 


First year of teaching, for the majority of teachers in this building, was one of the most difficult and challenging moments. If you struggle with your first year, it’s normal. I’ve tried to come up with tips I wish I had known before starting, so you don’t have to: 


Say how you’re feeling. This is something that everyone struggles with in any job, but I think in teaching everything is so go, go go that often teachers with more experience forget that you’re new. Don’t pretend to know what you’re doing if you don’t feel confident, ask. I cannot stress this enough as I definitely didn’t ask enough. It’s ok to say that you’re struggling and need help, everyone needs help and you will not be viewed as less because of it. Alongside this, it’s important to know your limits, it’s ok to say no. (I think we all need to learn this lesson again, in all honesty). You know how much you can take and sometimes you will have to put some things on pause for a moment. 


Use your mentor. I would suggest to use your mentor effectively, creating a focus for each week to discuss. Often I found it useful to come prepared with what I would like to ask or talk about in each meeting, then you very much lead your own development. However, using your mentor to tell you what you think you should focus on is also invaluable. You will not master everything all at once, create a focus for each term. 


Use your observations. Relating to your mentor, observations are terrifying, to me anyway. However, as I’ve developed as a teacher they are of course one of the most important ways to progress. To make this more effective for you (and in some cases less emotional), I found that writing down my own reflections before the feedback session ensured the feedback meeting was much more of a collaborative process, rather than someone telling you everything you did wrong (which doesn’t happen as WA staff are great at feedback), and less overwhelming. 


Share your ideas. It’s very easy as an experienced teacher to get stuck in a rut of teaching the same thing the same way, because it requires less planning. Arguably you are our most valuable resource; you’re fresh with knowledge, that we may not have thought of in a while, and are willing to experiment and be creative in the classroom. Share your ideas with us! If something went really well for you in a lesson, share it in department time! We’re always looking for new ideas! Equally if there’s something you can’t work out how to teach well, that’s what we’re here for.


Use the rules. The concept of G22 can be quite overwhelming but I promise, it’s not really 24 hours they stay in that room, contrary to one child, that was convinced he had to sleep there. G22 appears so drastic for the silly behaviour of a child but consistency is key, make clear boundaries and if students cross those boundaries make it clear and use warnings. Support systems come from both the rules but also staff, we all have had our fair share of difficult experiences with behaviour - it’s never personal. 


Other departments will further your success. One great thing about WA that I always found is that you find your friends everywhere, not just in your department. In turn this leads to learning how different departments do things and learning what works best for you. Often there are key people that your mentor will suggest you go to watch, which you should, but also use these people to find your own teaching style. I personally teach with humour because I’m hilarious (again, not biased), but also because I need to have fun in my classroom for me to enjoy it as well! Others choose to use more group work, or silent writing, or even love a silent classroom, every person has their preference and you have to find what works for you. 


Finally, try to keep a social life. This is a difficult one as it often seems impossible to even think about anything else except work in first year. One thing I have learnt is that there is never any reason why teaching should take you into the early hours of the morning. Make yourself rules, perhaps have one day in the week where you go out to dinner with some friends. Or a rule where you don’t work past a certain time in the week.


Overall WA is a great place to train and learn from others. You’ll be absolutely fine and I hope that this has helped you think about your goals for the year ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your lovely reflections Charlotte - they are so honest, so reflective and so helpful. I really enjoyed reading this. As we all know, the life of a trainee teacher can be very challenging, and I know that your guidance here will really help give confidence to some of those starting their journeys as teaching professionals.

    ReplyDelete