Friday 18 September 2020

Bitesize Research: Rewards and the Impact on Memory

This week, I wanted to share with you a study published by Nature Communications in April 2020 by Aberg et. al from the University of Geneva.

Objectives of study: It is well established that rewards or praise have a positive impact on memory; knowledge retention is more likely when connected to praise.  However, this study looked at two unique areas; firstly how rewards had a long-term impact on memory and knowledge retention, and secondly how the accumulation of rewards impacted knowledge retention.


Summary of findings:  

  • The best results for memory retention were not associated with the highest accumulation of rewards. 

  • This suggests that both motivation and challenge were equally important - if the task is too easy or too difficult, motivation decreases and that affects our brain’s ability to encode information. 

  • In the brain, memory is primarily managed by the hippocampus, a region of the brain responsible for encoding and storing memories. 

  • When a reward is involved, however, another brain region is activated - the ventral tegmental area - which is involved in the reward system and responsible for the release of dopamine related to the satisfaction of obtaining a reward.

  • The dialogue between these two brain areas helps maintain motivation, improve learning, and consolidate memories, even over time

How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 

  • How do I use praise and rewards to support students’ memory retention?

  • When students are able to demonstrate the retention of knowledge, what praise can we offer to ensure that motivation, as well as consolidation of learning, is strong over time?

  • How can I ensure I am offering a good level of challenge to support motivation?

If anyone would like to discuss this further with me (Jaya) - please comment below! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaya!

    Would really like to like to adopt some praise-centric habits into my practice. I find I’m good at doing this in the classroom on the spot but at times I can overlook rewards in my planning (and sometimes get busy and distracted and neglect logging positives)
    Have you got any tips/strategies for being more consistent with this? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    Thank you for getting in touch! I would say trying to keep a record of them on the board, or using strategies that include positive phone calls home would be memory joggers. If you want to talk this through further, let me know and we'll find a time to discuss.

    Thanks,

    Jaa

    ReplyDelete