Friday 23 October 2020

Bitesize Research: Effectiveness of setting Homework

This week, I wanted to share with you a summary published by the Education Endowment Fund in April 2020.

Objectives of study: To summarise the evidence around the effectiveness of setting homework on student progress. 


Summary of findings:  

  • In general, the findings suggest that on average homework being set can add an additional 5 months’ worth of progress to students. However, beneath this average there is a wide variation in impact, suggesting that the type of homework set is important.

  • Some evidence to suggest that homework is most effective when used as a short and focused intervention (e.g. a project or specific target connected with a particular element of learning). This can offer up to 8 months’ additional progress.

  • Evidence suggests that how homework relates to learning during normal school time is important. In most effective examples homework was an integral part of learning, rather than an add-on.

How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 

  • Given that some students have lost learning time in 2020 - how can we most strategically use homework to offer additional progress to students?

  • How am I setting homework?

  • How am I linking homework to what is happening in lessons? How effective is this?

  • How can I follow up with parents about students not completing their homework?

  • How can I encourage students to see the value in completing homework?

If anyone would like to discuss this further with me - please comment below! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment