Wednesday 24 February 2021

Bitesize Research: Collective Teacher Efficacy


This week, I wanted to share with you some of
Hattie’s work. Many of you will be familiar with Hattie’s work, but in summary, Hattie has led a project entitled ‘Visible Learning’ which strives to use meta-analyses to determine the strands of T&L with the largest effective sizes on student attainment and progress.


Objectives: To understand the T&L strategies that have the highest impact on student attainment and progress.


Summary:  

  • Whilst much of Hattie’s work has centred around feedback, the ‘new number one’ with the largest effective size is termed ‘Collective Teacher Efficacy’ (CTE).

  • CTE is broadly:

    • A collective belief of a school’s staff that they can positively impact students

    • A collective belief of a school’s staff that they should set appropriately high challenging expectations for all students

    • Crucially, this belief needs to be continuously underpinned by the evidence of the impact that the school’s staff are making


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 

 

  • How do I develop this belief with those I work with?

  • How do I regularly demonstrate or role model my own belief in this?

  • What challenges my ability to have this belief?

  • What kinds of evidence can I be using to support the fact that what I am doing is making an impact?

If anyone would like to discuss this further with Jaya - please comment below! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for highlighting Hattie's work. I tend to overuse the phrase "all rowing in the same direction" but you can perhaps see how it aligns with the idea of "a collective belief of a school’s staff that they can positively impact students" and I have no doubt that WA's staff can and does positively impact our students.

    ReplyDelete