Tuesday 13 July 2021

Bitesize Research: How Can Primary To Secondary Transition Be Implemented More Effectively

  By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone has had a great week so far! This week, as we get closer towards the holidays and towards our YR6 into YR7 summer school, I was interested in a report published by the UCL Institute of Education about primary transition. This was published in April 2021 (accessible here: https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10126990/7/Leaton%20Gray_UCLIOEMoving_Up_Report_FINAL.pdf) Objectives: To understand how primary to secondary transition can be implemented more effectively. Summary: The key findings were:

  • Existing research literature suggests that a smooth transition between KS2 and KS3 is an essential and important part of the general development of young people as they move towards adulthood.
  • The primary-secondary transition should be more than just an initial induction - it should be over at least one year.
  • The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted this process and has significantly fragmented learning for children undergoing this transition.
  • Many YR6 children reported feeling more anxious about their education and their relationships with their peers.
  • The authors suggested that improving the quality of breaktimes, dedicating areas of the school to younger students and support with quality technology for learning are likely to be key for transition success in the post-pandemic world.
How does this impact me and my practice?:

Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • How can I support effective transition processes in my classroom and whilst on duty?
  • What can I do to support the anxieties of new YR7 students?
  • How might I look to support and alleviate their potentially fragmented learning? What do I need to establish when they arrive to do this successfully?
If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment