Tuesday 30 November 2021

Bitesize Research: Evaluating The Prevelance of 'Neuromyths' In The Population

By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone’s had a great week! This week, I was really interested in a study released by UCL about the prevalence of ‘neuromyths’ in both the general population and in the educator population. ‘Neuromyths’ are misconceptions about the brain and neurodivergence including conditions such as ADHD, autism and dyslexia. Objectives:

To evaluate the prevalence of ‘neuromyths’ in the general population Summary:


The five prevailing neuromyths explored are:

  • Dyslexia is caused by visual problems
  • Dyslexia can be helped by using coloured lenses/colour overlays
  • Reducing dietary intake of sugar or additives reduces the symptoms of ADHD
  • Prolonged use of medication for ADHD leads to alcohol and drug addiction in adulthood
  • Autistic children do not like to be touched
1 in 4 believed in neuromyths related to particular neurodevelopmental disorders The authors of the study believe that these neuromyths have been long-lasting due to an increased fascination with the brain, as well as a drive for ‘evidence-based’ practice leading to very oversimplified statements about neurodivergence. How does this impact me and my practice?:
Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:
  • Do any of these ‘neuromyths’ need to be challenged in my own thinking?
  • How can I ensure that I don’t oversimplify these things in my own thinking about working with students with these neurodivergence needs?
If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment