Tuesday 22 March 2022

Bitesize Research: Formative Assessment

By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone’s having a great week! Lots of people across the WA community are thinking about assessment practice. In light of this, I was interested to read a new study that looks at embedding formative assessment and its impact on student outcomes. Objectives: To understand how formative assessment and training in formative assessment practices improve student learning and outcomes Summary:

  • Formative assessment is defined here as activities that enable teachers to assess what students know and then shape their teaching thereafter to meet student needs and improve their outcomes
  • Traditionally, improving these practices at scale has been challenging and therefore research literature has hitherto been limited to small-scale studies
  • This research showed that a focus on embedding formative assessment in 70 schools across the UK made a positive difference to student outcomes - equivalent to two months of pupil learning
  • It also showed that the size of the effect was higher on lower prior attaining students
How does this impact me and my practice?:

Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • How am I currently using assessment - formative and summative - to inform my teaching practice?
  • What would I like to improve in my assessment practice?
If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jaya. Formative assessment is more important than summative because it supports learning, rather than measures it (when it could be too late). I think our discussions of assessment in the coming months will help ensure we have the best balance between formative assessment (not graded) and summative assessments (with grades). Here's a useful list of 56 examples of formative assessment: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nzhdnyMQmio5lNT75ITB45rHyLISHEEHZlHTWJRqLmQ/pub?slide=id.gb1e798ac_12012

    ReplyDelete