Tuesday 8 November 2022

Bitesize Research: Impact Of Daydreaming On Learning

 By Jaya Carrier

I hope you’re all having a good week so far. This week I was interested to come across some interesting ideas about working memory as reported in the TES magazine.


Objectives: To understand why we may daydream and what impact this has on learning


Summary: 

  • According to some experts, humans may daydream for up to one third of their waking hours

  • Working memory capacity has also been shown to be linked to some measures of intelligence (including IQ and reading comprehension) but also people with higher working memories may also tend to daydream more.

  • Some scientists have suggested that when working with students, we should speak to them more explicitly about daydreaming - as it may bring about some higher degrees of creativity and ‘thinking outside of the box’.

  • Neuroscience research has recently shown links that daydreaming increases the joining of two disparate brain regions; the default network (active during daydreaming) and the cognitive control network (involved in executive functions such as planning and problem solving)

  • That said, some daydreaming may also impact learning negatively

  • The author concludes that educators should consider carefully how daydreaming is tackled in lesson time.


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • What have I noticed about students who may daydream in my lessons?

  • How am I currently tackling daydreaming students in my lessons?

  • What could I do differently? What support would I need to do this?


Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment