Friday 13 October 2023

L&T Blog: Week 6 - Inquiry Based Learning Vs Direct Instruction



Dear WA,


I hope everyone is well! This week I was really interested to see some research from May 2023 into inquiry-based learning and direct instruction. These two styles are important for us to consider at WA in particular. Firstly, because the IB states clearly that they have a preference for inquiry-based learning, and secondly, because there is an ongoing debate about ‘which style is better?’ and this regularly plays out in education circles online, particularly on social media.


Objectives: To understand the existing research landscape about the effectiveness of inquiry-based learning.


Summary: 

  • The study is clear that inquiry-based learning is likely to be effective for supporting students to develop their conceptual understanding. 

  • The authors show that it is also very impactful in developing what they describe as ‘deep learning processes’ which include metacognitive strategies. 

  • The authors also show that contextual factors are really important to determine the likely success of any given instructional approach.

  • The authors are clear that having sufficient prior knowledge is essential for the success of inquiry-based learning. 

  • They conclude that a curated and deliberate combination of direct instruction and inquiry is likely to have the best and most effective outcomes


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • How do I currently balance inquiry-based methods and direct instruction? What have I found to be effective about this?

  • How could I consider the use of inquiry-based for heightening conceptual understanding in particular?

  • What questions do I have about this? What support do I need to develop my use of inquiry-based learning?


Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment