Friday 2 February 2024

T&L Blog Term 3 Week 4: Impact of informal mentoring on young people

Dear WA


I hope everyone is well and wishing you a really restful festive break when it comes around! For this final bitesize research article of T2, I was interested to read a study about the importance and power of informal mentors in the lives of young people. 


Objectives: To understand the impact of informal mentoring on the lives of young people.

 

Summary: 

  • This study argues that informal mentoring is classified as relationships forged by young people and their teachers, sports coaches or other professionals working within their schools. 

  • Using a large set of longitudinal data, this study states that 15% of young people stated that their most important mentors were teachers or sports coaches in their lives.

  • The authors argue that these kinds of relationships have a significant impact on the lives of young people, including in their attainment, and in their likelihood of going to university.

  • They also argue that the impact of these kinds of relationships are amplified for students from disadvantaged backgrounds, as well as in schools where students have a strong sense of belonging.


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • Does the idea of informal mentoring resonate with me? Have I had an informal mentor? Do I act as one for any students?

  • How might this impact my conception of being a tutor?

  • What support might I need to do this kind of work more effectively?



Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


Thanks, Jaya


No comments:

Post a Comment