Tuesday 1 December 2020

Bitesize Research: Oral language interventions

This week, I wanted to share with you a summary of key research compiled by the Education Endowment Fund in 2019 on oral language interventions.

Objectives: To outline the key impacts of oral language approaches including reading aloud and book discussions, explicitly extending students’ vocabulary, the use of structured questioning to aid reading comprehension and the use of purposeful dialogue in a curriculum.


Summary:  

  • Overall there is a very positive impact on learning when oral approaches as outlined above are used - students make up to five months’ additional progress over the course of a year

  • All pupils benefit from them, but pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds appear to benefit more than others

  • Some oral language interventions have a greater impact than others - e.g. those directly related to text comprehension or problem solving

  • Approaches which explicitly aim to develop spoken vocabulary have the highest impact when they are related to current content being studied.


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 

 

  • What strategies am I currently using to improve pupil talk in my lessons? 

  • How am I ensuring that these opportunities are possible in COVID-secure classrooms?

  • How can I link oracy interventions to text comprehension and problem solving in my planning?

If anyone would like to discuss this further with Jaya - please comment below! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment