Wednesday 29 September 2021

Bitesize Research: Using Effective Do Nows To Maximise Student Learning

 By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone has had a great week so far. This week, I’ve been thinking about Do Now activities, and will be doing my Wednesday briefing on this theme. I was interested in coming across some work by Petty in his book Evidence-Based Teaching: A practical approach which puts forward an evidence-informed strategy for the beginning of lessons. Objectives:

To provide a practical model for the beginning of lessons that uses evidence-informed ideas. Summary: Building on the work of Hattie (2008), Petty’s model proposes three steps to begin lessons which he claims has a significant effect on student learning:

  • Show a visual representation of the learning that will take place during the the lesson
  • Set learning intentions that are not outcome-based but focus on what will be learned
  • Use questioning to recall prior learning
How does this impact me and my practice?:

Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • How am I starting my lessons? How effective are they? How do I know?
  • What do visual representations of learning that will take place actually look like?
  • What do I think about Petty’s model?
If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


2 comments:

  1. A prompt engaging start to a lesson is important and those three bullet points constitute a simple and potentially effective approach to achieving that. I think your reflective questions are just as important, Jaya: "How effective are they? How do I know?" An exit strategy to assess lesson effectiveness is a great springboard into planning/adjusting the following lesson since there's little point continuing with the next lesson if most of the class has been left behind. I'd be interested to see some good examples of exit strategies at WA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Paul - taking time to think about the impact of last lesson in order effectively plan the next is so essential!

    ReplyDelete