Friday 3 September 2021

How to thrive when returning "back to school"

 By Holly Youlden

Welcome back to a brand new school year! No matter if this is your first year as a teacher or you’re a seasoned pro, the very start of a new school year always brings with it a huge mix of emotions. Perhaps you feel excited for new classes and challenges to come? Or maybe you’re full of new ideas of how you want to set up your classes and eager to get them in place? You could possibly feel nervous about what this year could have in store, particularly with our pandemic-fuelled turbulence? Disappointed that your Great British staycation didn’t provide you with the summer holiday glow that you so desperately hoped for? Or maybe you’re just happy to see everybody and be back in the regular routine? 


With lots of new information, new classes, new faces, and new routines to get used to, it is completely normal to feel a slight sense of trepidation when September rolls around. So to help ease you back, I thought it would help to seek out advice from the WA community to get their tips on how to make this “back to school” your most positive yet…


Spend some time working out your timetable and get organised

“I know that the start of term means tonnes of new information. One of the most important tasks I do to keep myself sane is making a Google sheet with my timetable and events for each week, where I hyperlink my lessons, once I’ve planned them. This little bit of life admin makes me feel so much more prepared and calm at the start of term and allows me to look ahead quickly and see what my week/month/term is looking like.”


Use simple activities to get to know your students quickly in those first few lessons

“In my first lessons, I like to ask a student what their name is, one thing they want me to know about them and what their goal is in history. They do this on a post-it note and I find reading them helps me to get to know my students quickly right at the start of term. Plus, sometimes they write some adorable things!” 


Have faith in yourself and be present!

“Often when I come back from the summer break, I find myself questioning my own ability or thinking I can’t remember how to do things. Make sure you have faith in yourself! Teaching is a bit like riding a bike so have the confidence that you know what you’re doing and have lots of support around you if you need help. I think those first few lessons are particularly important for you to focus on your presence- how are you standing? How are you introducing yourself? How are you connecting with the students? It will make a big difference later down the line.”


I hope you all have a brilliant first week in the classroom and let us know in the comments if you have any other fantastic tips or advice you’d like to share


No comments:

Post a Comment