Sunday 27 February 2022

Bitesize Research: Science Learning & Disciplinary Literacy

By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone’s having a great week! Continuing our thinking about literacy and communication, I was interested to come across the 2017 EEF study about Science learning, and how it connects to disciplinary literacy. Objectives: To examine Science learning and consider strategies for best practice. Summary:

  • There is a consistent attainment gap in Science across all key stages
  • The strongest factor influencing students’ attainment in Science is their literacy levels
  • Strategies that boost disadvantaged students’ reading comprehension are likely to have a positive impact on their Science achievement. They recommend some of the practices of dialogic teaching to support with this
How does this impact me and my practice?:

Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • How am I considering communication and literacy in my current planning?
  • What correlation is there between literacy and attainment in my subject? How do I know?
  • How do I use dialogic teaching? How effective is it?
If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.


1 comment:

  1. I feel that science teachers usually utilise dialogic teaching as their main strategy which can lead to didactic teaching as well. I am trying to change my practise to develop independant learning, but surely these contradict each other?

    ReplyDelete