Wednesday 23 February 2022

Bitesize Research: Reading For Pleasure

By Jaya Carrier

I hope everyone’s having a great week! Following the INSET day training from the National Literacy Trust, and with World Book Day fast approaching, I was keen to continue on the literacy and communication theme by looking at a literature review by Coventry University and the Book Trust on reading for pleasure. 


Objectives: To examine existing literature on reading for pleasure to determine some of the key factors that influence secondary school students’ reading for pleasure.


Summary: 

  • Reading for pleasure has been a recent focus of government strategy on reading, rather than some of the mechanisms of reading

  • Students who read for pleasure have been associated with a large number of positive outcomes both in terms of their literacy and academic grades, but also in terms of better community participation and better insights into decision-making and human nature

  • Interest in reading for pleasure has been shown to decline in the adolescent years

  • Teacher role models of reading for pleasure have been shown to have a big impact on adolescent readers. This includes discussing books, and supporting students to create their own ‘reader identities’.

  • More choice over what is available for students to read has a big impact on their reading motivation

 

 

How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 

 

  • How am I promoting and role modelling reading for pleasure in my interactions with my students and tutees?

  • How am I using tutor reading time to support reading for pleasure?

  • How can I help to nurture students’ ‘reader identities’?

 

If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations. Finally, some the theme of literacy, check out a previous bitesize article on the impact of writing for student progress!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jaya. I have no doubt that reading voraciously for pleasure was the single biggest reason why I found school enjoyable and not very challenging. I enjoy seeing our students reading during morning registration and your reflective questions are interesting. I would add to them the *organisational* question: How are we - schoolwide - promoting and supporting reading for pleasure in a consistent and sustained manner? We can chat about that! Thanks again, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to chat further on this Paul - as you know, I love reading, and I think it's extremely important!

    ReplyDelete