Monday 2 January 2023

Bitesize Research: Importance Of Vocabulary Instruction

By Jaya Carrier

Welcome back - I hope everyone had a great break and that you’re having a good week so far. One of our ongoing priorities is looking at student communication. As such, I was really interested to see a recent Edutopia article that looks at vocabulary. Objectives: To understand the importance of vocabulary instruction and to offer strategies to support with effective vocabulary instruction Summary:

  • Students need frequent exposure to words in order for them to embed into long-term vocabulary
  • This article suggests that vocabulary can be strengthened by co-creating dialogue in the classroom. This includes ‘choral practice’ - everyone in the classroom saying the word together.
  • This is commonplace in MFL but not something that is regularly done elsewhere.
  • Discussions in the classroom of new vocabulary could also look to link to related words and paraphrased definitions
  • The author suggests creativity when looking at vocabulary instruction, including ‘word association’ and also drawing pictures to cement understanding
  • Students can also be active in choosing words they want to understand more about or define
How does this impact me and my practice?:


Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • What am I currently doing to support the understanding of new vocabulary in my subject?
  • What would I like to try out in terms of teaching new vocabulary? How will I know if it has been successful?
  • What information or further support do I need to help me with this?
Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of choral practice and this is something that I will do much more of in future to help embed certain vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying this out too - not sure who this is from, but let's definitely touch base on how this goes!

    ReplyDelete