Tuesday 24 January 2023

Bitesize Research: Effectiveness Of Online Learning

 By Jaya Carrier

I hope you’re all having a good week so far. This is our 100th edition of Bitesize research! This week, I was interested to look at a systematic review of studies looking at the effectiveness of online and blended learning published by the British Educational Research Association in May 2022. This is particularly interesting in our setting as a one-to-one device school.


Objectives: To review the effectiveness of online and blended learning as outlined in the existing research literature.


Summary: 

  • The incorporation of digital technologies into instruction had a significantly positive impact on learning in 85% of the research analysed

  • This was particularly the case in studies that used blended learning 

  • In terms of the most effective subjects, the best were EAL interventions, followed by writing and then STEM. 

  • Generally, females did better than males in terms of the impact of technology on their attainment. Also lower prior attainers and EAL students also did especially well using technology.

  • They conclude that the main advantage of using digital technology is likely to be enhanced task flexibility, and learner autonomy that encourages a greater degree of self-regulation and efficacy. However, they do conclude that the use of technology may not be an advantage for all students.


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • How am I using digital technology currently with my students?

  • How can I use the different packages of online learning available at WA to support my students, particularly EAL and LPA students?

  • What support do I need to better utilise digital technology in my practice?

 

Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jaya. This is such an important question: "How am I using digital technology currently with my students?"
    I know many schools/districts that use the SAMR hierarchy to frame that question and related discussions. It's certainly useful for teacher self-reflection. Here's one example article that references it: https://www.edutopia.org/article/different-ways-looking-how-use-edtech?utm_content=210574408&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-138079476234665

    ReplyDelete