Tuesday 4 July 2023

Bitesize Research: Enjoyment Of Writing

By Jaya Carrier

I hope you’re all having a good week! This week I was interested in some of the findings from the National Literacy Trust (NLT) about children’s enjoyment of writing. This furthers our ongoing thinking about disciplinary literacy and the role that different subjects may play in this.


Objectives: To understand the current state of play with children’s enjoyment of writing


Summary: 

  • The study has found that just 34.6% of students aged between 8 and 18 say that they enjoy writing, and that this drops to 25% by the age of 16.

  • Despite this, the study found that many students believed writing had a positive impact on their wellbeing, creativity, social connections and ability to support causes they care about. 

  • The study found that girls enjoyed writing more than boys and that students receiving free school meals enjoyed it more than their non-FSM counterparts. 

  • This is consistent with NLT research over time which suggests that students from lower income backgrounds tend to enjoy writing in their free time more than other students. 


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • What is important about writing in my subject? How am I currently promoting a love of writing?

  • What opportunities for writing and building a love of writing might there be in my area?

  • What further ideas or support do I need on this topic?


Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment