Wednesday 12 July 2023

Bitesize Research: Impact Of ChatGPT In Education

By Jaya Carrier

I hope you’re all having a good week! As discussions around AI and its current and prospective role in society abound in the media, this week I was interested in reading an interview with two University of Cambridge education researchers about ChatGPT in education. 


Objectives: To understand the potential impact and use of ChatGPT in education today and in the future


Summary: 

  • The researchers argue that ChatGPT should be seen as an ‘assistive technology’.

  • They urge educators to engage in thinking about what it can and cannot do in education settings, and to move away from binary thinking around ChatGPT in education, characterised as  ‘dystopianism’ vs. ‘boosterism’. 

  • The researchers argue that uses it could have in the classroom could include:

    • Supporting students to organise their thoughts and ideas in clear and coherent ways, enabling them to focus more upon the idea itself (reducing the cognitive load)

    • Supporting teachers to focus more on the big questions and on critical thinking

    • Supporting teachers in formative assessment practices

    • Supporting students with revision e.g. checking answers, or refining an essay. 

  • The researchers argue that the potential for ChatGPT to reproduce social biases and inequities needs to be in the minds of educators seeking to use this technology and that teachers need to support their students in using technology with criticality. 


How does this impact me and my practice?: Some reflections arising from this that might be helpful to consider are: 


  • What do I think about AI in education? What excites me about this? What worries me about this?

  • How could I use ChatGPT in my teaching practice? How could I support students in using it effectively?

  • What more would I like to know?


Please do get in touch if you would like to talk further about this - I’d love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment