Wednesday 19 May 2021

Bitesize Research: Using Trauma-Informed Approaches When Working With Students

By Jaya Carrier

Following on from some of the training we had in 2020, looking at trauma-informed approaches will be an ongoing theme for the next academic year too. As such, I was interested to look at a pilot from another inner London area (Islington) to see how their schools had used trauma-informed practice to reframe their work with students. We will be using a slightly different set of principles but, for reference, this pilot used the ARC framework (attachment, regulation and competency). Objectives: To understand the possible impacts of using trauma-informed approaches to working with students Summary: The key overall themes are:

  • In the year-long pilot period, where trauma-informed approaches were routinely embedded there were reductions in behaviour incidents, and fewer exclusions and other sanctions
  • Working with vulnerable children became more effective than the practices previously adopted
  • All except one school wanted to continue with the approach after the initial pilot

How does this impact me and my practice?:

Some reflection questions arising from this that might be helpful to consider are:

  • What can I remember about trauma-informed practice and adverse childhood experiences (ACEs)?
  • How have I used previous training on trauma-informed practice to inform my interactions with students this year?
  • What would I still like to learn about trauma-informed approaches?

If you would like to discuss this further with me - please let me know! I’d be delighted to open up these discussions and conversations.




No comments:

Post a Comment